Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Death of original ideas

I was watching TV last night when an advert came on for a new film starring Chris Rock, "Death at a funeral".

After a few seconds I started getting that Deja vu feeling that I'd seen this before then realised that yes, it reminded me of a British film called, erm, let me think, oh yes, "Death at a funeral".

From the preview on the TV it looks like they've remade the film using the exact same script, but replacing the well to do English characters with loud black Americans played by Chris Rock, Tracey Morgan and Danny Glover.

Fair enough, the story could probably do with some updating considering it was originally made way back in 2007. I didn't even realise they had films back then.

What is wrong with American audiences watching a film featuring some new talent they haven't seen before? Is it really worth it to remake the exact same film with a big name to attract the audience?

To be honest, the film wasn't all that great to begin with but I'm sure the remake is nowhere near as good.

0 comments: