Friday, December 4, 2009

17 snowflakes cause carnage on Houston roads!!

I took a day off work today.

It was actually quite cold and we even had some snow.

My wife and I went to pick up a Christmas tree and it was probably the perfect winter weather that we never get in Houston.

When I got home, I found out that my office was closed at 11.40am and everyone was sent home.

We did have a fair bit of snow for Texas, but it was not sticking to the roads so I don't think there was any reason people should be sent home!

When I lived in England, I worked in Halifax which was about an 80 mile round trip every day. One day, I woke up and found the street covered in snow. By covered, I more 4 or 5 inches deep.

I cleared the snow and ice off the car and noticed there was a perfectly round hole in one of my windows. Some kids must've thrown a snowball at the car and because it was so cold, it went right through.

I taped up the window, and drove to work, over the pennines and found the weather was even worse in Yorkshire. We were probably looking at around 7-8 inches of snow, and I mean you actually had to walk through 7-8 inches of snow.

Nobody took the day off and the office didn't close, even though it didn't stop snowing all day.

When anything the slightest bit out of the ordinary happens in Houston, the entire city comes to a stand still. Schools close, which means parents have to miss work to look after there kids, and suddenly everyone forgets how to drive, if they even knew in the first place!

To show that it does get cold in Houston sometimes, here's a couple of pictures:



0 comments: