Monday, December 14, 2009

Fuck you I won't do what you tell me!

In England, for some lovely unknown reason, the song that happens to be number 1 in the chart at Christmas is a big deal.

People who don't care about the charts the rest of the year suddenly take an interest.

Novelty songs are very popular, as are charity singles but in recent years the final of Simon Cowell's karaoke TV 'talent' show The X Factor has coincided with the Christmas chart.

Simon Cowell is a very good business man and it is a very good marketing strategy to have The X Factor end mid-December just in time for the winner to release their debut single in time to be the Christmas number 1.

However, this year the cool kids have decided to fight back.

There has been a growing campaign in England encouraging people to download Rage Against The Machine's 1991 song "Killing in the name" in an effort to make it the Christmas number 1 this year and put an end to The X Factor's manufactured rubbish.

If you've never heard of Rage Against the Machine, or their song Killing in the name you won't be familiar with the bit that repeats the phrase "Fuck you I won't do what you tell me!" over and over for pretty much the second half of the entire song.

Am I the only one to see the irony in being told to buy a song that defiantly states that I will not do what you tell me?

Muppets!

0 comments: