Thursday, June 25, 2009

The King is dead

Michael Jackson died today. This is sad news but while watching one news channel there was a definite sign of how far we have fallen from reality and real 'news' when across the bottom of the screen there was a scrolling bar with "Breaking News".

And do you know what the breaking news was? I quote:

"MC Hammer Tweets: I have no words. I loved Michael Jackson. RIP."

Hold the phone a minute... MC Hammer...on Twitter...is news??

Fair enough, the death of one of the most famous musicians of our time is big news, but bringing us MC Hammers' thoughts via Twitter? Seriously?

Are we so desperate to hear the thoughts of 'celebrities', and I use that term in the loosest possible sense, rather than medical experts etc?

It is indeed sad news, and at times like this you can't help but think of the kids.

Obviously the biggest part of all this insania is that we now need a new King of Pop. My vote goes to Peter Andre, or Coca-Cola but Andre could do with the boost since splitting up with Jordan.

I'm tempted to wear black to work tomorrow as a mark of respect. Or maybe white. It makes no difference.

Michael Jackson will be missed. He may not have been relevant recently but he really touched me when I was younger.

Out of all this though I mostly feel sorry for Farrah Fawcett. She finally succumbed to cancer today only to have her thunder stolen by Michael Jackson.

0 comments: