Thursday, September 3, 2009

My iTunes chart is taking over my life!

I have a problem.

I listen to a lot of music and probably have most albums ever released but that's not the problem.

My problem is iTunes. I love iTunes and buy most of my music from there these days but I have a problem when listening back to music.

iTunes keeps count of the number of times you've listened to a song and this is where the problem starts.

First off, for it to count, you have to play a song all the way to the end. This is not normally a problem, except when listening to songs through iTunes.

For some reason, I want iTunes to keep an accurate record of which songs I listen to so it compiles an unofficial sad Andy chart.

I suppose this comes from when I was younger and I used to compile my own chart based on which songs I'd heard on TV or the radio each week. It was imaginatively called The TV & Radio Top 30.

Anyway, because iTunes keeps track of the songs you listen to, instead of just moving on to the next song when I get bored of the current one, I have to skip to the end of it so it gets it's point, and then click on the next song I want to listen to.

As iTunes is keeping count of all the songs I play, I find myself listening to songs that I think should be at the top of the chart, or at least need a little help climbing a few spots.

Disaster almost strikes when my wife decides to listen to music during the day. Sometimes she even goes as far as creating a playlist for her to listen to while she works.

You're probably wondering what the problem is aren't you?

Well, please allow me to educate you.

My wife has about 25-30 songs on the playlist, and she just leaves it playing all day, on repeat so it plays the same songs over and over.

When that happens, it destroys all of my hard work in getting all of the songs in the required order and we end up with Britney Spears & Lady GaGa shooting up the chart as they've been played 34 times in a day, which then has the knock on effect of pushing Oasis and the Stone Roses down and I for one would be suitably embarrassed should anyone pop in to look at my iTunes library and see Britney Spears proudly sitting on top of some proper bands.

So the result is I never get to listen to songs in their entirety as there is still so much work to be done to make sure everything is in the correct order and properly reflects which songs I listen to, and like, the most.

In case you're interested, the current number one song is Take That's Rule the world. It was the song of our first dance at our wedding so I suppose it's ok.

1 comments:

Jennifer said...

I didn't realise that it was such a big deal! Whoopsy..freak.